You’re relaxing after work, enjoying the silence and a good book when you hear scurrying and scratching in the walls. You have mice. For a quick fix, you go to the grocery store and review your options. You go home with poison. It’s not ideal, but it will solve the problem before your guests arrive next week. Fast forward a few days and you’re relaxing with your book once again. Again, you hear a scratching noise. This time, it’s at the door. There’s your sweet kitty with a mangled mouse in his mouth.
How rodent poisons work
The most common type of rodent poisons are anticoagulants. These take a few days to work, and in that time, the mouse may continue feeding on the poison. This can lead to very high levels of toxicity. This can be a problem for your cat, but there also may be undigested bait in the rodents digestive tract that your cat could have eaten.
What to do if your cat eats a poisoned mouse
Even if you’re unsure whether the mouse has been poisoned, take action and do not delay. Take your cat to the emergency clinic right away.
You should know that this is a rare instance, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.
If your cat is poisoned with an anticoagulant, she can be treated if she is brought to the vet in enough time. The vet may administer a blood transfusion to remove the poisoned blood and/or vitamin K as an antidote to the toxins.
How to help your cat recover
If the vet is able to save your cat, there may be a long road to full recovery. Deadly levels of toxins within your cat’s system can lead to various issues and imbalances that may present themselves as other issues down the road. For example, if your cat was exposed to a toxin, he may later develop something like a skin allergy that seems unrelated.
In truth, our bodily systems work symbiotically. When one system is in a state of emergency, it can affect the entire body. This is especially true when toxins are running through the bloodstream. It touches every organ.
So even if your vet gives your cat the green light and everything seems fine, it’s a good idea to help your cat detoxify to eliminate the aftereffects of the toxins.
The liver, kidney and the entire body will benefit from a complete detox, which will help eliminate the poison. We use this method often with our customers at Homeoanimal, and we often see great health improvement in the pet’s health (especially with allergies and skin problems) after a detox.
If you think your pet has been poisoned, the key is to act quickly and consistently. The vet may be able to save your cat’s life. If so, you can help restore your pet’s health by taking measures to keep his system clean.