– Do call an expert.
– Don’t call the fire department or police; they typically won’t commit resources that might be needed in a bigger emergency.
– Do call soon. Cats can survive several days, but the longer you wait, the weaker they get, increasing their risk of falling.
– Don’t spray the cat with water to force it down; it will only climb higher.
– Do keep your cats’ claws trimmed. If your cat spends any time outdoors, don’t declaw it.
– Do give your cat safe place to retreat from dogs and other threats, without having to climb a tree.
– Don’t give up on finding a lost cat. Do look up, because it might be in a tree.
Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images