When your cat becomes picky with its food all of a sudden, it could be a cause for concern as it could indicate a health problem. Sometimes though, the reason for your healthy kitty’s finicky eating habits just might be that they are being downright picky. They might have gotten bored with the same old food day in and day out and want to communicate to you that they need a change. Luckily, there are ways to help your feline to get to eating like they used to.
Here are five effective ways to get your cat to eat:
1. Give the food some flavor. You can do this in a variety of ways, including adding tuna water (leftover water from canned tuna), sprinkling some catnip, and/or adding treats to their normal food.
2. Keep your kitty’s dishes clean and in an accessible place. Who wants to eat from dirty dishes?! Humans definitely don’t and neither do cats!
3. Warm up the food. Sure, food at room temperature will often suffice for most felines, but throwing it in the microwave for a few seconds will warm it up to a nice temperature that will also make the food smell more. Just remember to test the warmed food with your finger first before serving to your cat, ensuring they won’t burn their mouths.
4. Mix some fresh cooked food with their normal food. Whether they eat wet or dry cat food, sprinkle some freshly cooked chicken or fish onto their food to help encourage your kitty to eat.
5. Fix the food texture. Many cats (especially when they are sick) like their food to be more of a pate-like texture. Give their food that similar texture by adding a little warm water to their dry food to make it more alluring and edible to them.
(Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)