Taking your feline to the vet is an inevitable thing to do when you are a cat owner. While your cat may dread and even loathe vet visits, it’s imperative for their health. Even the sight and knowledge that they will be going into their carrier can make the trek to the dreaded vet can be a very stressful time for both your cat and you! Luckily, there are some approaches you can take to help aid in your cat to avoid being too stressed over the inevitable vet visit.
Here are some ways to make vet visits less stressful for your cat:
– Find a veterinary hospital that understands and likes cats. Feel free to interview the clinic for recommendations for healthcare for your cat.
– Keep calm. Cats tend to get more anxious when we are anxious. Use a calm, quiet voice when talking to them and while putting them into their carrier.
– Help your cat enjoy its cat carrier. Right away, they should start getting use to the carrier at home. Entice it with treats and catnip to make your cat go into the carrier willingly – tossing in a blanket or clothing item of yours may help too. Be patient and reward your cat with treats for good behavior.
– Try a cat pheromone spray. It helps to calm down your cat and would be helpful in all aspects when your cat is in its carrier. This will help both in the car on the way to the vet as well as sitting in the waiting area of the vet’s office.
– For an overnight stay, bring an object from home. Staying the night in a foreign place can be scary to anyone, so in leaving a blanket or piece of clothing with your familiar scent on it is going to make all the difference.
Here’s a helpful video on making vet visits less stressful:
Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images