Let’s face it: owning a pet can be pretty hard, especially when it comes to the financial aspect. Caring for a pet cat can be quite expensive if you don’t know the tricks to trim down the cost. Luckily, there are some ways to cut corners here and there without feeling much of a difference by knowing how to budget accordingly!
Here are some tips for caring for your cat on a budget:
– Skip the cat groomer. Unless you really don’t have the time and you have money to burn, it’s better that you don’t use a cat groomer. It’s quite important to know how to clip your cat’s nails, and it’s fairly easy to use a brush to keep their coats shiny and healthy as well as keeping your furniture – mostly – free of hair.
– Make your own cat toys. Here’s a not-so-secret secret: cats can be amused by just about anything! The only issue about homemade, DIY toys is the safety factor. Other than that, there are many ways to entertain your cat with even just household items. Safe toy options include toilet paper rolls, fleece toys, and pipe cleaners – avoid plastic as much as possible.
– Save on cat food. Sales and coupons for your cat’s grub is the key, as well as checking out pet supply stores’ websites to find out the best food deals. A great rule of thumb is to divide the price by the number of pounds so that you can see the real price you’re paying. Also, take advantage of the loyalty rewards many pet stores offer.
– Make your own cat tree. Cat furniture is expensive, but it is a definite must. After all, cats need somewhere to climb, observe, and scratch.
– Save on kitty litter. While there are plenty of ways to cut corners for our cats, kitty litter is NOT one of them. A good litter system is definitely something worth investing in.
Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images